As first-time home owners turned first-time sellers, there were so many lessons learned about preparing our home to sell & the whole selling process in general. Putting your home on the market, allowing strangers to walk through and judge everything you’ve worked hard on + waiting for the “perfect offer” is not for the faint of heart. Then you have to squeeze in packing, checking off last-minute First Home Bucket List items + trying not to be a complete grinch to your S/O (which I totally was – sorry Matty). So I’ve compiled a list of things to remember for next time we sell – which will hopefully be never because hello, dream house in progress (include all the heart eyes here)!
- Don’t take anything personally. People aren’t going to like your cleaning capabilities, your backyard, your asking price, the fact that you have big dogs… oh well. Be proud of the home you’ve created.
- There is no such thing as a “perfect offer.” And even if you think there is, they end up asking for your washer/dryer, homemade dog house + to replace ONE SHINGLE on the roof.
- Having early morning showings during the week + making it to work on-time is nearly impossible. Yes, we have dogs. No, we don’t have kids. It’s still hard.
- Don’t buy cheap packing tape to save money. You’ll end up using 3x the amount + have to buy more.
- Everyone + their brother takes things to Goodwill on Sundays when it’s rainy. Dare to be different just to skip lines.
- Order a change of address with USPS before you move out, not three days after. Oops.
- Spending your last night eating chinese food on the floor of your empty home may sound romantic, but it’s not. You’ll end up getting 654813 flakes of dirt + dog hair mixed into your food.
- Love on your S/O. They’re not the enemy – people who say “thanks, but no thanks” to your home are. Okay – I’m exaggerating, but you get what I’m saying.
- Working with a realtor is 100% easier than For Sale by Owner. Less headaches, less stress, more people to turn to for questions.
We loved working with Ryan and Laura Schwarz to sell our home.
If you’re looking for a realtor in the Bennington area, we highly recommend them!
Thanks for reading.
xo . t